Food Forums

Full Version: Emirati Gelato Goes Down A Treat
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Gelato made in Abu Dhabi - and with distinct Emirati flavours - is making it big in the UAE capital's hospitality circles after being unveiled at Gourmet Abu Dhabi - the annual culinary festival currently running in the United Arab Emirates' capital.

Made in Abu Dhabi by the Bó and Abbatiello family of Venice, the Bobo Gelati comes in a range of flavours including date, lemon-mint and pistachio and is all made from camel's milk.

And the range got the seal of approval from two masterchefs taking part in the festival - the UAE's very own Khulood Atiq and Italian culinary maestro Marco Sacco.

"Really it's very good," said Khulood. "I make my own ice-cream from camel's milk and I think this is excellent for residents and visitors to try because camel's milk is so healthy. It's often easily digested by lactose-intolerant individuals and is rich in healthy vitamins and minerals, especially vitamins B and C and iron."

The new range, made with camel's milk sourced from dairies in Al Ain - Abu Dhabi's agricultural and heritage heartland - also won the praise of Italian masterchef Marco Sacco, the two-star Michelin-chef who was among Gourmet Abu Dhabi's star-studded cast.

"Buono," said Marco. "This is what culinary innovation is all about. Gelato is made with exclusively with natural products - and it's great that local products are being used in this way. I think it's got a great future."

The Bo family, which has ice-cream operations in Italy and Germany, has opened in Abu Dhabi, making its produce in Mohammed Bin Zayed City and selling from an outlet on Airport Road.

"We had family here already and they convinced us there was a market here," explained Managing Director Lorenzo Bó.

And the Gourmet Abu Dhabi promotion has brought instant results for the family.

"We've got appointments with restaurants and other services who are interested in taking the produce and we're busy now following up with them," explained Giuseppe Abbatiello, Sales Manager. "It was a last minute decision to go with a promotion at Gourmet Abu Dhabi and I think we'll now be signing up for next year's event."

Gourmet Abu Dhabi, which is presented by Abu Dhabi Tourism & Culture Authority, runs throughout 20 of the UAE capital's finest restaurants until 19 February. Next year's event will run 3 - 18 February 2015.